Uncategorized

Wynne Evans ‘axed from GoCompare adverts’ following Strictly scandal

Wynne Evans has reportedly been axed from the GoCompare adverts following his Strictly Come Dancing scandal, which saw him cut from the tour after making an inappropriate remark about host Janette Manrara. The 53-year-old has been a fixture in the company’s advertising since 2009 playing the character Gio Compario. However, he didn’t appear in the company’s most recent advert and seemingly the company has finally made a decision on his future.

“The whole ordeal has been a real headache for GoCompare. It’s been a tough decision for them because Wynne is undeniably a major part of their branding. It’s also been tricky to even have him in the current ads, so it’s best not to have him filming for the next ones,” a source told Mail on Sunday. The current advert, which is running frequently on ITV, does not feture Wynne but does have a cartoon rendering of Gio Compario at the end.

Express.co.uk have contacted GoCompare and a representative of Wynne Evans for comment.

 

Group shot of the male Strictly Come Dancing tour stars with Janette Manrara

Wynne Evans was overheard making a remark about Janette Manrara at the Strictly tour launch (Image: Getty)

The contract for the campaigns is beleived to be worth around £200,000 a year to the dad of two who previously said the gig “changed his life”.

It is the latest role he has reportedly lost since footage mereged of him making an innappropriate comment at the Strictly Come Dancing tour press launch.

He was dropped from the tour after it emerged that he had used the sexually suggestive term “spit roast” to describe host Janette Manrara during a private joke with EastEnders actor and former co-star Jamie Borthwick.

Initially, BBC bosses had let him off with a warning, but they were forced gave in to growing anger from the public.

The Welsh Opera singer apologised for his actions, and also took time out form his show on BBC Wales in the aftermath.

“I’ve agreed with the BBC that I’ll take some time out from my radio show and the Strictly Live tour, as well as my other public commitments, to prioritise my wellbeing,” he said in an official statement.

“I am deeply sorry for the pain my inappropriate actions have caused, and plan to take this time for self-reflection.”

Last month it was reported the BBC investigation into his behaviour has been delayed as the Welsh tenor is struggling mentally in the aftermath of the scandal.